Pottery Course • Throwing, Trimming & Design
Learn how to use the pottery wheel
If you’ve wanted to learn how to make your own pottery, we have an awesome two week beginners pottery course in Sydney we’d love you to join!
We run each of our classes for 3 hrs to allow for maximum practice and experience.
This beginners Pottery Experience is made up of three classes over two weeks.
• Saturday - Introduction to throwing
• Sunday - Pottery trimming
• Saturday or Sunday (Please check date of ticket) - Ceramic painting
Our lifestyle, art and craft studio in Cammeray, Sydney provides a relaxed creative space for our pottery workshop. With only eight students per class, you’ll be given plenty of individual attention so you can learn the basics much quicker.
When your hands are covered in clay, you need to focus on the moment which brings a mindfulness approach. The small-size class format will introduce you to the basics of wheel-thrown pottery, decoration and glazing. If you have always wanted to give pottery a go, or reconnect with a past interest, then this short three-week workshop might be just what you are looking for.
Day 1 (3 hours)
- Introduction to throwing: We will focus on important steps such as preparing the clay and learning how to centre the clay on the wheel.
Day 2 (3 hours)
- Trimming: Pretty up the pieces by fixing uneven edges, working on the foot and base and more! After this, they'll choose their two favourite pieces for bisque firing ready to design and paint their work in the last session.
Day 3 (3 hours)
- Design: Basic ceramic painting and design techniques. They'll unleash their creativity to decorate and paint their own ceramic bisque pieces ready for Glaze firing.
After the class, the ceramic pieces still need to be glaze fired in a kiln, this makes the ceramics functional and usable. Once the pieces are fired each class needs to get sorted and packed. You will be contacted when your pieces are ready to be picked up from our studio.
We only have eight students per class, to ensure plenty of individual attention.
- Best suited to adults
- Age 15+ accompanied by an adult are welcome.
- Perfect for beginners or if you have done a little pottery before and looooved it.
- Suited to beginners and Intermediate!
- The use of our pottery wheel and tools.
- Enough clay to create a range of pieces.
- Bisque firing of your two favourites pieces.
- Ceramic Paint, Glazes and final glaze kiln fire.
- Your own finished pottery to take home.
- Fired pieces will be ready for pick up at Maker's Loft two weeks after.
- Closed toe shoes, comfortable clothes you're okay with getting clay on and are loose fitting to allow you to sit close to the wheel. We suggest long hair is tied back and jewellery such as rings, bracelets and watches are removed before the class.
- This project is not recommended for students with long or acrylics nails
- BYO refreshments and snacks
- This class series runs over 2 weeks (Week 1; Saturday & Sunday and Week 2; Saturday or Sunday, please check dates on ticket).